What Are The Best Budget Golf Rangefinders?
Golf Rangefinders are on of the best assets any golfer can add to their golf bag. Golf rangefinders have so many benefits to any golfers game, regardless of their skill level. The support rangefinders give you help you lower your scores and improve your game. But what are the best budget golf rangefinders? And more importantly are they any good?
Best Golf RangeFinders On A Budget?
Golf Rangefinders can vary in price. Prices depending on the model can vary from $120-$500. Obviously the lower end models wont have all the features as the high end $500 models, but rangefinders are designed for one key purpose; getting your yardages to your target. I have compiled a list of what I feel are the best golf rangefinders on a budget. They vary in price but each of them are below $200. The rangefinders mentioned below rival the performance of many of the top of the line golf models.
It’s no surprise the that the TecTecTec is one of the best selling range finders on Amazon. The TecTecTec VPRO500 is extremely quick at finding the yardage and returns it almost immediately. Many compare it’s speed and yardage accuracy to the highly rated Bushnell rangefinders.
The TecTecTec VPRO500 is very easy to use. Simply point and press the power button to the flag. The TecTecTec VPRO500 is a very compact and lightweight rangefinder.
From only using it for 5 rounds I feel the distance measurement is very accurate. However it does sometimes take a few tries to get the correct reading.
This rangefinder does not perform as well in the fog or rain but if you are fair weather golfer this wont be an issue for you.
This is the go to option if you’re looking for a less expensive laser rangefinder that performs well.
One thing that must be credited is the customer service TecTecTec provide. Their customer support will go to great lengths to make sure they accommodate you anyway they can. It’s no surprise why this is one of the best golf rangefinders available to buy right now.
- Returns the yardage almost instantaneously.
- Very easy to use. Point it and press the power button and you get the yardage.
- Excellent clarity. It is very clear and the 6x magnification makes any flag visible. You can also focus the rangefinder by turning the eye piece for a clearer sight.
- Nice carry case with a belt loop
- Small, light and compact.
- Excellent customer support
- Very reasonable price for the quality of product
- Doesn’t work well in fog or rain
- Can be more difficult to get a flag reading if there are trees or large sloops behind the flag
- Not 100% Waterproof
If you are looking got a golf rangefinder on a budget, you need to consider the Nikon COOLSHOT. This Nikon Coolshot rangefinder rivals the best golf laser rangefinders in the business. The Nikon COOLSHOT is in every way comparable.
The clarity through the scope is unmistakably clearer and better than many other brand laser rangefinders. It’s clear sight picks out any flag you can see up to 250 yards.
A great feature that sometimes is overlooked is a rangefinders ability at finding hazards like bunkers and water hazards, the Nikon COOLSHOT does this with ease.
The Nikon COOLSHOT is affordable, durable and spot on accurate. Compare this side by side to the top $400 range finders you will get the same results. For the quality of product you receive and the such an attractive price tag it’s hard to see past why it’s one best golf laser rangefinders on a budget. An excellent laser rangefinder that must be considered.
- Excellent performance and quality for the price
- Very Reasonably Price
- Starts Up quickly with fast readings
- Becomes more difficult to read flags over 150 yards out.
- Can sometimes have trouble locking on to the flag when there are trees in the near background. You may need to take 2-3 readings to be sure.
One of the newest upgrades to the GPS rangefinder market is VOICE. These tiny, easy to use devices are a great choice for the recreational golfer, and the new Golf Buddy Voice 2 is one of the best rangefinders on a budget. What I love most about the Golf Buddy Voice 2 is its simplicity. It does what it’s suppose to do.
The Voice 2 is a tiny but brilliant device. When you turn it on it will pick up your course automatically. Then you simply clip it to your belt buckle, hat or pop in into your pocket and you’re good to go. It’s a tiny device that clips on to your belt or hat. Like most GPS rangefinders, it displays yardages to the front, center, and back of the green. You can also move the measuring point around the green. if you push of the main button on the Voice 2 GPS, it will to tell you the distance to the center.
The Golf Buddy Voice 2 had an impressive battery life. Up to 14 hours, which is the equivalent to 3 rounds of golf. This is quiet impressive as many models nowadays will only last 1-2 rounds, and these can be a pain constantly charging it. Because if you are like me, I constantly forget to charge my GPS rangefinders.
Nowadays rangefinders, especially GPS devices try to add all the bells and whistles. the latest and greatest features, and lets face it, you wont use most of them. But what happens is the focus is on the additional features and they fail to provide you with the simple goal; providing you with accurate yardages quickly,
There are plenty of other golf GPS devices available nowadays, but few come close to value the Golf Buddy Voice 2 will give you. The Golf Buddy voice 2 is one of the best golf rangefinders on a budget you can buy.
- Very simple to use
- Does the simple things very well
- Voice activation is quick and easy to use
- Extremely Accuarate
- Excellent Price
- Various clip options (wear as a watch, clip to belt or golf hat)
- Doesn’t have the high end features that other models have
The SereneLife Premium Golf Laser Range Finder is a very reasonably priced rangefinder that performs very well. Priced less than half of a many of top branded rangefinders, this is one of the best golf laser rangefinders in the market right now that you cannot ignore.
It’s very nicely made, easy to operate, and also has excellent optics. The carry bag is a bit small, making it difficult to get out of the carry case to check the distance. This might not bother some users, but it can be annoying if you use it very often. However, overtime it does begin to start to stretch a little and become looser.
The Serene Life Golf Laser Range Finder is a reasonably priced product that is perfect for any golfer who is a member of a poorly marked golf course. Don’t be be put off by the cheap price. This Golf Rangefinder is an excellent piece of equipment with performance matching the higher $400 competitors, is the reason why it made our best golf laser rangefinders list.
Serene Life also offer great customer support and will usually reach out to their customers asking their customers for feedback and suggestions. A top budget rangefinder that can’t be recommended enough.
- Very reasonably priced
- Performance matches the $400 models.
- Simple design
- Carry case is too small
- Not the coolest looking range finder
The budget-friendly Breaking 80 Golf Rangefinder is one of the best budget golf rangefinders on the market. The IS500 has features that can rival even the high end models.
The Breaking 80 IS500 rangefinder can accurately measure up to 550 yards. with x6 magnification. The IS500 has a Flag Mode feature designed to pin point the flag rather than trees or hills in the background for example. The advanced pin seeker technology finds the flagstick quickly with a very clear and easy to read LCD.
The Breaking 80 IS500 rangefinder comes with a lifetime replacement plan. It offers your standard 1 Year warranty, but if it gets damaged outside this time, Breaking 80 will replace it for $99. The IS500 is one of the best budget golf rangefinders and worth considering, especially with the lifetime replacement plan.
- Advanced pin-sensor technology
- Clear LCD for easy yardage readings.
- Compact and lightweight
- The device also comes with a lifetime replacement plan.
- Water Resistant
- No slope feature with this model
The Precision Pro Golf Nexus Rangefinder is one of the best golf laser rangefinders. It’s so easy to use. Just a point and click. Precision Golf is a relatively new brand but have hit the ground running in the golf rangefinder market. Their loud designs and excellent performing rangefinders are becoming popular additions to golfers’ bags.
The Precision Nexus is extremely easy to use, and it was simple to focus in on the 300 yard marker at the range. One thing that important to mention about this rangefinder, and why it made our best golf laser rangefinders, is that it seems to easier to read the flags than others. If you are prone to the shaky hands, this might be the one for you.
Sometimes it’s the small things that catch your attention and with this it’s love the case that came with it.
The Precision Pro Nexus is their entry level model and budget friendly model. The rangefinder performs so well, without a doubt one of the best budget rangefinders on the market.
- Cool bright design
- Works great if you tend to have shaky hands
- Can be used up to 400 yards
- Turn dial for focusing
- Reasonable price
- Bright loud design might not appeal to some users
Bushnell Neo Ion Golf GPS Watch Review
The Bushnell Neo Ion GPS watch is very easy to set up. It takes little while to find some courses compared to other watches. The Bushnell picks up the yardages to the front, middle and back of the green very easily. It’s most noteworthy for being a simple option without the bells and whistles other models. The Neo Ion does the simples things extremely well.
I must mention the the battery for the Bushnell Compact Neo Ion. Many of the best golf GPS watches out there will only last for 1-2 rounds of golf, but the Bushnell Compact Neo Ion lasts for over 3 eighteen hole rounds. This is a very impressive. It’s annoying having to charge your watch after every round, so it’s a massive plus the Bushnell Neo Ion last for 3 rounds.
I do like the tee time function. You can enter you tee time and date and before you are due to tee off you will be notified. Just a reminder to finish up your coffee in the clubhouse or do some light stretching or practice swings before you tee off.
One thing that I really did not like is the old style look. The black and white style of the watch looks very dated. Maybe I’m being picky here but when you compare the watch screens with for example the beautiful color screen that the Garmin Approach S60 provides (which I love by the way). But this does not stop it from being one of the best budget rangefinders available.
The Bushnell Neo Ion golf GPS watch will to do the simple things well. It does not have the new swing technologies and analysis software. It’s made to do what a rangefinder should do, give you yardages to the green, and move on.
The excellent battery life is worth the opportunity cost of certain software that I feel are not necessary for this watch. As a result it’s one of the best budget golf rangefinder currently available that won’t break the bank.
- Excellent Battery
- Charges very quickly
- Includes pedometer
- Does the simple things well
- Comfortable watch
- Dated black and white look
- No swing analysis software or smartphone app pairing
- Little bit chunky
Garmin Approach S20 Golf Watch Review
I was immediately impressed on the course with how accurate the S20 was. I compared it next to the Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt and it was very close on each reading +/- 1 yard.
The Garmin S20 watch can be worn as an every day fitness watch. It will count your steps around the course, calculate calories burnt, which is nice and makes you feel better after the round.
The Garmin Approach S20 has all the features you’d imagine would be included in a golf GPS watch. You can analyse your golf via the Garmin Connect Smartphone app to check out your shot distances, scores, etc. Garmin Connect smartphone app, the Garmin Approach S20 updates all course automatically you will have all the updated course information.
A nice feature with the S20 is that it can be used on and off the golf course by syncing with your smartphone to receive calls, texts and emails.
This really is a gorgeous looking watch that allows you to change your watch bands. The battery life is also impressive. Well impressive for standard mode. The standard mode lasts for 8 weeks. However, it only lasts for 8 hours in the GPS mode (Golfing mode).
If you tend to play in the rain, it’s important to note the Garmin Approach S20 is waterproof.
The yardages to front, middle and back along with the hole number and the par are displayed clearly on the screen. Each hole will show you an outline of the green shape and you can move the flag stick around the green. Scrolling between the holes is very easy, simply use the up & down buttons.
The Garmin Approach S20 give you hazard info on each hole. As great as it sounds, don’t get too excited. It takes far too long to get this info. Far too many buttons are required to find this info and it can be annoying.
- Accurate yardage info
- Can be used as an everyday fitness watch
- Garmin Connect analysis
- Good battery
- Changeable bands
- Complicated to use at times
- Better Garmin watches available
- Hazard and layup info takes too long long to get
The TomTom Golfer 2 is an excellent golf GPS watch and one of the few brands other than Garmin to make our ‘Best Golf GPS Watches’ list.
The menu is controlled by the square pad on the strap below the screen and this is very easy to use. The display is very clear and easy to read with large display numbers.
It picks up your golf courses so easily. When you arrive at your golf course, just scroll right from the home screen and the TomTom Golfer 2 picks up the course you are on within 20 to 30 seconds.
The accuracy of yardages seemed pretty good and the display was clear with front, middle and back shown in nice big numbers. The font used also seems appealing and looks a little more modern.
Scrolling between holes is easily done by simply clicking up and down on the pad. The TomTom Golfer 2 is so easy to use and will be liked by many golfers. The Golfer 2 will provide you with some hazard information for each hole which is nice to know.
The TomTom Golfer 2 has some nice additional features that such as a pedometer, length of the round and also the calories burnt. An excuse to reward yourself for with a beer after.
The scoring function will track your shots and distance between shots automatically. It picks up your swings pretty well and gives a little vibration after your follow through. It will only record one swing per location. Once you have finished your round you just sync the Golfer 2 watch with the app on your iOS or Android phone via Bluetooth and you get to see basic stats on driving distance, fairways hit, greens in regulation and putting.
The TomTom 2 is a great watch and one of the best gold GPS watches available today.
- Lovely design
- Automatically detects nearby courses and shots
- Accurate yardage
- Easy to use
- Replaceable straps
- Vibration swing detector can be annoying
- Syncing info can be difficult
- Very dated looking graphics
How Can Rangefinders Improve Your Game?
Golf equipment has evolved s much in the last decade. The game has seen massive improvements to golf club technology to improve golfers’ game and lower their scores. However, a golf rangefinder is one of the most valuable additions to add to your bag.
Club Yardage Data
Do you know how far you hit each club? A rangefinder is not only a yardage tool, it’s a data collecting device. After using a golf rangefinder for a few weeks you will begin to collect your own personal yardages data and know the distance you hit each club. How the data is collected depends on the type of rangefinder you are using.
For example, most golf GPS watches and handheld devices can be connected to smartphones and computers for post round analysis. The software allow you to review how far you hit shots with each one of your clubs. Laser rangefinders won’t record this on a smartphone for you; however after a few weeks you will get a very good idea how far you each club from memory. You can also go to the range and manually take not. When you get fitted for new irons, the new track man technology also tells you the average distance you hit each shot. you can use a copy of that info as your guide.
Lower Your Scores
Even the best budget golf rangefinders help lower your scores. Knowing the exact yardage paired with the yardage data you collected from your game, you will know the right club to play. This is crucial info for lowering your score. You need to hit greens in regulation, not go long or come up short scrambling for an up and down to make par. Rangefinders will help save you a couple of shots each round.
Improve your Confidence
Golf Rangefinders will give you confidence. One of the worst things in golf is second guessing yourself. Is it a 7 or an 8 iron? Golf Rangefinders eliminate any uncertainty you have about the distance. Instead of guessing the yardage, you can be 100% confident in your yardage and focus on choosing the right club for your yardage. Golf rangefinders are extremely useful on new courses. Even the best budget golf rangefinders will help guide you around the course.
Speed Up play
Look and go. That’s all it is with golf rangefinders. It’s a quick look through your laser rangefinder scope or a glance at your GPS watch. There’s need for walking around the course looking for yardage markers or striding out 20 yards from the 100 yard plate. there!.
Which Type of Rangefinder Is Best For You?
- Golf GPS watches are generally quicker use. They are constantly using your location and will automatically give you the distance to the front, center and back of the greens.
- So quick to and easy use. Have a quick look at your watch, 105 yards to the pin.
- Most golf GPS watches are extremely accurate.
- Speeds up play.
- Shot tracking and post round analysis. Most golf GPS watches come with software that allow you to review your round on your computer or smartphone.
- Some watches allow you to view the golf hole layout. This is great for your golf course management to spot hidden bunkers or find your way around tough dog leg holes.
- Many golf GPS watches are everyday fitness tracking watches or smart watches that can receive calls, texts, emails, etc.
- Getting distances to hazards is difficult with some models. Some watches take a lot of time to get the info on your golf GPS watch.
- If you want a simple tool to get only gets distances to the green, then GPS watches may not be for you. Too many additional features on GPS watches sometimes lead to lack of focus on the core functions, get correct yardages.
- Some golfers mightn’t be comfortable playing golf using a watch
- Some holes will have discrepancies, although most are accurate for the most part.
- Extremely accurate.
- Laser Rangefinders can quickly get the distances to hazards, trees, etc. Golf GPS watches can take a lot longer to get this info and will cause slow play within shots.
- Simple to use. Simply aim your scope at your target and you have you yardage.
- Can be stored away in a bag
- Most models are water resistant
- Expensive considering the technology when compared to Golf GPS watches. GPS watches offer far more features for similar or lower prices.
- Sometimes difficult to use if you have shaky hands.
- Difficult at times to pick out the flag stick when there’s trees or bushes in the background.
- Rangefinders do not work very well in the rain or foggy conditions.
- Very quick and easy to use
- Can be clipped on to your golf bag
- Large screen options offer more detailed course information
- Provide hazard information easier than most GPS watches
- Shot and score counter
- Shot distance tracker
- Post round analysis
- Some models can be very large
- A lot of similar technology is available as a smartphone or smartwatch app
- Some handheld GPS devices will have discrepancies (although rare, some holes may be slightly off)
- Look dated
Disclaimer: The Golfing Lad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon